Friday, November 14, 2008

Immaculee

Being a mom of two very young boys, I have found my involvement in our ministry here in Kara to be quite different than what I thought almost two years ago before we arrived. I am more involved with the people that come to our home rather than who I meet out in the villages. I am perfectly content to be experiencing ministry this way as it allows me to be involved 100% in the ministry I am first called to...my family. There are a few Togolese women that I have developed relationships with. Most of them only stop by asking for help occasionally, making it difficult to build a strong relationship. Then there is Immaculee (ee-mah-que-lay).
Her story is an interesting one. More than 10 years ago, she was Immaculee Ward, living in Boston with her husband and baby girl. Now, she lives alone in Kara. She speaks English well but desires to improve it so she can have good conversations with her daughter, who is still in the States. She is eager to help me with my French while I help her with her English. While in America, she was trained as a hair dresser and desires to use this talent here in Togo too. Unfortunately for her, Brett likes my hair long. ;) She does what she can to have money to eat and buy soap. As a mother myself, I understand her longing to see her daughter again. It is that emotional connection that keeps me doing what I can to help her make contact with her friends and family in America. I explained to her last week that I do want to help her...but I want to help her in a way that insures that she can take care of herself in the future. Please pray for Immaculee as she struggles through daily life in Togo while desiring to be somewhere else. I also ask that you pray for me to have wisdom in knowing the best way to handle her situations...to help her, not to hinder her or her relationships.

3 comments:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Sounds like a tough situation. with God's help, you'll be able to handle it, April. You've got a good head on your shoulders!

Anonymous said...

Precious daughter, God will give you the wisdom you need to help. Just listen for His words. =-)
I love you and am proud of you.
We both are,
Momma and Dad <><

Anonymous said...

This is Natalie Ward, Imaculee's daughter. I found this article when I google searched my mother's name believe it or not! I know this entry was posted over two years ago but I want to make my perspective known.
My father has always been very open about talking about my mother. He tells me about how smart she and what a great person she is and I believe him. I've stayed in contact with her since she left and although at times we grew more distant, I always felt it was because I wasn't ready. I don't blame my dad or my mother for what happened, I know things were complicated but I still have mixed emotions. I know when I see her I will be overcome with so many feelings and I don't know if I can handle that right now. But I do want to open lines of communication more now, in fact I emailed her this morning. I think the best thing you can do is reassure my mom that I do want a relationship with her and that I'm working with coming to terms with everything.
Thank you for your kindness! I do appreciate it!